Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Health Benefits of Broken Wheat: Broken wheat or Cracked wheat or Dalia (Hindi) or Samba Goduma Rava (Telugu) is made by crushing whole raw wheat kernels into smaller pieces. This whole grain with a nice nutty flavor is low in calories and loaded with good nutrition. Broken wheat is rich in fiber, iron, magnesium, Vitamin E, Vitamin B and has lots of health benefits. Like any other whole grain, it lowers the risk of cholesterol, supports good heart health and aids in weight loss. Broken wheat is cooked similar to rice and can be used as a substitute for rice in many Indian recipes. It is available in the market in 3 different sizes and I always prefer the medium size grain for my cooking.
Khichdi is one of the easiest healthy rice recipes and requires very little effort. This delicious guilt free dish can be served as breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Broken Wheat – 1 cup
Moong Dal – ¾ cup
Water – 3 Cups
Onion – ½ small
Other Vegetables – 1 ½ cup (Beans, Carrot, Peas, Capsicum)
Green Chillies – 2
Cinnamon – 1 inch
Bay leaf – 1
Jeera – 2 Tsp.
Pepper powder – 1 Tsp.
Turmeric – ½ Tsp.
Salt – 1 ½ Tsp.
Oil – 1 Tbsp.
Ghee – 1 Tsp (Optional)
Coriander – 2 sprigs
1. Chop all the vegetables and slit the green chillies length wise. Wash the broken wheat and moong dal and set aside.
2. In a cooker, add oil and ghee. Add cinnamon, bay leaf and jeera and let it fry for a minute.
3. Add green chillies and onion. Fry till onions turn translucent.
4. Now, add the chopped veggies and fry for 2 minutes.
5. Next, add washed broken wheat and moong dal and fry for another 2 minutes.
6. Add 3 cups of water, pepper powder, turmeric, salt and mix well.
7. Place the lid of the cooker and let it cook for 2 whistles.
8. Garnish with coriander and serve with raita on the side.