Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Carrot is my all time favourite vegetable. There is not a single day where I do not eat carrot… I just love it !! January is the peak season for carrot in India and I relish all the varieties of carrots avaiable in the market at this time…baby carrots, delhi carrot( or gajar), ooty carrot. Carrot is rich in Vitamin A, fibre, beta-carotenes, calcium and anti-oxidants and is said to help maintain good eye sight and glowing skin. So, why not use it everyday !!
Here’s a simple Carrot side dish recipe with minimun ingredients, yet awesome. Yummy tummy…here you go !!!
Carrots – 3-4 (grated)
Green chilli – 2 (slit length wise)
Jeera powder – 1 tsp
Dhania powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaf – 1 sprig
Coriander – 2 sprigs
Coconut gratings – 2 tbsp (vary as per taste)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
1. In a kadai heat oil, add chana dal, mustard seeds and green chilli.
2. Next add the grated carrot, curry leaves, turmeric, salt and mix.
3. Turn the heat to low and cook under cover for 8-10 mins. Remove the lid and cook for another 2 mins. (the moisture in carrot is enough for the carrot to get cooked. If required sprinkle some water)
4. Once all the water evaporates, add all the seasonings… jeera powder, dhania powder, coconut gratings and mix.
5. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with rice or rotis.