Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Brinjal is considered as one of the favorite vegetables in Andhra cuisine. There are so many versions of Brinjal fry and this is one of them. All you need is few brinjals and my home made Curry Masala powder. I would suggest you to make the masala powder in larger amounts and use it in all vegetable dry curries….it really adds a special taste.
Brinjal – 4-5 No’s
Green chilli – 1
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chana dal – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – pinch
Salt – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Curry Masala powder :
Grind the following ingredients into a coarse powder.
Roasted peanuts – 3 tbsp
Roasted gram dal (putnalu) – 2 tbsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp (vary as per taste)
Coconut gratings – 1 tbsp
Tamarind – small piece
Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Dhania powder – 1/2 tsp
1. Clean and chop the brinjal into cubes. Drop the cut cubes into a pot of water mixed with turmeric.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal.
3. Once the dals turn slightly brown, add slit green chilli.
4. Drain the water from the brinjal and transfer the cubes into the pan.
5. Add turmeric, salt and mix well. Cook under cover for about 10 mins till the brinjal cooks.
6. Now add 2-3 tbsp of the masala powder as per taste and mix well.
7. Garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with rice or rotis.