Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Yard Long beans, (Long podded Cowpea, Chinese beans, Snake beans, Alasande Choda, Chawli) are slender, 12-20 inch long, light green colored crunchy vegetable that are closely related to the black-eyed peas. These are low calorie high energy food with good amounts of fiber, folates, Vitamin A ,Vitamin C iron, copper, manganese, calcium and magnesium. .
Alasande palya is a traditional Karnataka dish made for special occasions and festivals. Here’s a recipe for making this delicious curry.
Tip: (Remember that Yard long beans cook faster than the usual french beans. You can directly cook them in a pan by sprinkling some water or use a pressure cooker for 1 whistle.)
Yard long beans – 250 gm (Cut into 1 ½ inch pieces)
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Urad Dal – ½ tsp
Dry red chillies – 1 No (cut into pieces)
Turmeric – pinch
Salt – 1 tsp (vary as per taste)
Jaggery – 1 tbsp
Fresh Coconut gratings – 1 Tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Dry Masala powder :
Grind the following items into a coarse powder:
Putnalu/Roasted gram dal – 2 Tbsp
Dry coconut – 1 Tbsp (optional)
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin/Jeera seeds– 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
(can be made in larger quantity and stored. Use for any dry curry)
1. Cut the beans into 1 ½ inch pieces. Wash thoroughly, drain the water and set aside.
2. Heat a pan and add oil. Once oil is hot add mustard seeds, urad dal, chillies.
3. Transfer the beans into the pan. Mix turmeric, salt and cook under cover for 15-20 mins.
4. Keep checking in between and sprinkle water as required till the beans become soft. (Alternatively cook beans in a pressure cooker for one whistle first and then use)
5. Add jaggery, curry leaves and cook for another 2 mins.
6. Once all the water evaporates, add the 2-3 tbsp of the masala powder and mix. Vary spice level as per taste.
7. Now add fresh coconut gratings, curry leaves, cook for 1 min and turn off. Serve with steamed rice/roti.